Net zero in manufacturing: Where do priorities differ?
26th October 2021
Right across UK manufacturing, the majority of large and medium-sized companies have a measurable and accountable plan and a clear commitment to reaching net zero. That’s the key learning from our new report Navigate to Next.
The difference is in what they see as the most important priorities they face on their decarbonisation journeys.
Large manufacturers told us that the key areas they need to address are:
- Reducing carbon emissions in their supply chain
- Monitoring energy consumption, analysing the data and creating benchmarks
- Participation in compliance systems (such as ISO 14001)
- Carbon capture and storage
- Capital investment in fixed assets that are more energy efficient.
Medium-sized organisations said that they needed to:
- Monitor energy consumption, analysing the data and creating benchmarks
- Invest in knowledge and training
- Procure low carbon consumables
- Switch to an energy supplier that provides renewable or low-carbon energy products and services
- Run behaviour change campaigns
Clearly, data and measurement are an area of shared interest to achieve net zero emissions.
Manufacturers of all sizes are addressing the issue of decarbonisation in a strategic way, enabling them to measure the efficiency of their approach as they work towards their goals.
The main difference is size. Large manufacturers are looking to capital investment to play a large part, along with new technologies such as carbon capture and storage. Mid-sized manufacturers regard training their people and working with their partners as some of their most important tools for decarbonisation.
Energy optimisation’s a key step towards reducing emissions; for all organisations, but especially so in the manufacturing sector. Finding the right energy partner could play a huge part in that process.
Optimising onsite infrastructure, energy flexibility, and vehicle fleet electrification are all areas where an energy partner could help manufacturers to reach their emissions targets.
Download your free copy of Navigate to Next to see how UK manufacturers are driving the change to net zero.Download report now