Metering work and installations during Covid-19 restrictions
As customer visits restart, our priority is to ensure the safety and wellbeing of our customers, colleagues and partners. Here’s a summary of the measures we’re taking:
For our colleagues
- Most of us are working from home and will continue to do so until further notice. We’ll only come into the office if we can’t perform the task from home.
- When we’re in the office, we keep to social distancing advice by staggering breaks, limiting face-to-face meetings and using floor markings.
- We’ve increased the cleaning of all surfaces and high contact points like doors and handles.
- We have a queueing system for general facilities like toilets and kitchens.
- You can read the full risk assessment here.
We work with a range of partners for collecting meter readings, installing smart meters and other metering activities. We’ve developed our own risk assessment, which you can read here. We won’t send out an engineer until we know that their risk assessment complies with ours. As a rule, engineers will:
- Maintain social distancing, as per the latest guidance.
- Assess the situation once at the property (they may also call you before arrival).
- Ask you to move to a different room or to have open access (e.g. leaving relevant doors open) to perform their job.
- Use sanitising wipes thoroughly before and after they complete work as well as on all tools and equipment they use.
- Regularly wipe handles, controls and steering wheels on vehicles.
- Avoid touching their face and use PPE when social distancing isn't possible.
- Ask you to use your own pen to sign paperwork (having safely handed it to you) or sign it (with your consent) on your behalf.
- If they generate any waste on the job, they’ll double bag it and dispose of it securely.
You can find our partners' risk assessments below: