Guide: How to start selling your electricity
31st March 2022
Do you generate your own renewable electricity? Or are you planning to install renewable power generators to meet your environmental ambitions?
No matter what the technology type, your renewable generators can provide a source of income and help decarbonise the UK’s electricity supply, by selling your excess power to the grid.
However, the pathway from installing assets to selling power is not always clear. Our guide to generating renewable electricity aims to simplify the process and help you get from installation to payment.
We work with more than 2,100 organisations of all kinds to sell their power to the grid.
We know the challenges organisations face in getting from installation through to receiving their first payment.
Our latest guide is designed for sites generating 30 kilowatts or more, providing a step-by-step handbook to take your operations from installation to generation.
To get you started on your journey, our guide outlines what you need to do and who you need to contact to make your contribution to a renewable UK and receive payments for your power.
The guide covers:
- Finding the right Power Purchase Agreement (PPA) to meet your needs
- How to set up your export Meter Point Administration Number (MPAN)
- An introduction to metering, what kind of meters you’ll need, and how your meters should be set up
- Working with your Distribution Network Operators (DNOs) and what information they need to know about your electricity generation
- The role of the Data Collector and Data Aggregator and how they ensure you’re paid fairly for your electricity
- An outline of factors that can impact the cost and timings of the process
Every site is different. As an energy supplier we legally can’t help you through every part of the process but where we can, we’re here to support you through the journey.
Let’s start selling your electricity and build a more renewable UK.
Download your free guide to generating renewable electricity below.